- Rick Hindley will spearhead Podback’s growth as the scheme looks to expand partnerships with local authorities, retailers and manufacturers of coffee pods
- Podback was announced at the end of 2020, with the scheme going live to consumers across the UK last month
- Rick brings over 30 years’ experience in recycling, having most recently been Executive Director at UK aluminium industry body Alupro
17 May 2021 – Podback is the first-of-its-kind recycling scheme for coffee pods, set up by the two biggest players in the UK coffee industry, Nestlé and Jacobs Douwe Egberts UK. Today it announces the appointment of Rick Hindley as its first Executive Director.
Podback provides simpler ways for people to recycle their coffee pods and is now live across the UK, offering a nationwide Collect+ drop-off service and kerbside collection in eligible local authority areas*. Rick will lead the next phase of Podback’s growth, including:
- Expanding the number of local authorities partnered with the scheme, so kerbside can be available to even more consumers.
- Partnering with retailers to offer a ‘handover at home’ option, meaning that consumers can have their used coffee pods collected for recycling when they have their groceries delivered.
- Onboarding new members to include all coffee brands that use plastic or aluminium pods in the UK, so consumers can use one simple scheme for all their pods.
Rick Hindley, Executive Director, Podback, said: “Throughout my career I’ve been committed to advancing the sustainable packaging agenda and I’m excited to lead this unique initiative into the next phase of its growth.
“By uniting the industry around a common goal of making recycling simple for people, we can deliver on Podback’s ambition of a world where every coffee pod enjoyed is easily recycled.
“I look forward to working closely with manufacturers, retailers and local authorities over the coming months to make coffee pods more sustainable and create a more circular economy for the future.”
Guillaume Chesneau, Board Director of Podback and Managing Director, Nespresso UK and Ireland, said: “Rick’s experience means he will bring unparalleled knowledge of the recycling sector as well as a deep understanding of policy and experience engaging with all levels of government and stakeholders, including local authorities. This will be crucial as we continue on Podback’s journey to make recycling coffee pods as easy as possible for consumers.”
Toby Bevans, Board Director of Podback, Marketing Director, JDE UK and Ireland, said: “We’re delighted to be bringing Rick on board as Podback’s first Executive Director. We know how important offering a comprehensive and easy recycling scheme is for customers – 90% of coffee pod users say they would like to be able to recycle their coffee pods alongside their household recycling**. With Rick’s appointment, we’re one step closer to being able to do this.”
Rick has had a 30-year career in recycling and waste management, most recently as Executive Director at Alupro, the organisation representing the UK’s aluminium packaging industry. During his tenure, aluminium packaging saw record-breaking recycling rates, with data for the first three months of 2021 suggesting continued growth.